DeLi Linux

DeLi Linux Forum

DeLi Linux » Installation » ATI driver for Xorg, Ndiswrapper

ATI driver for Xorg, Ndiswrapper

Page: 1

Author Post
:shock:

Hi:
I installed Deli 0.7.2, and after tweaking the xorg.conf, and it's working.
But I try to fine tune it and encounter some problems, I searched this forum, and I don't see people asking similar questions.

ATI driver for Xorg:
Although it's working fine, however, I can only use vesa driver, which has a low refreshing rate and hurt my eyes.

My video card is ATI "3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X, and I looked /use/lib/module/drivers/, and don't see the driver. If there is a way to get this driver.

Ndiswrapper:
The computer I am using, wireless is the only way to get to Internet. I saw the post someone asking for it before, and it points to a Crux port, I downloaded it and type pkgmk, but there are some errors, usb.h can not be found.

I google searched the reason, seems to me I also need uclibc library installed.
Does any one has a Ndiswrapper compiled for uclibc?

Comment:

(1)When you release your next release, in your "extra software", can you also include the
development environment, so user can try to compile the application they need.
That way, Deli users can share with each other their labor of love and improve it altogether.
I looked at uclibc.org, but I am not sure I want to start from scratch to build the environment.

(2)I agree, Deli will benefit from the development of embedded application.
My Thinkpad bought 10 years ago is 233MHZ, 32 MB RAM, that's the kind of spec( in terms of computing power) for today's mobile device. I read your blog on a daily basis.

(3) I have watched Deli Linux for 6 months, but I didn't install it until yesterday. Although Puppy Linux(the one I am using) or DSL are well known for small linux Distro, but small distro and small to run are 2 different things, it's not that user friendly, but it's truly has a small footprint.

Regards.
Shenen Wang
Administrator
Shenen wrote
ATI driver for Xorg:
Although it's working fine, however, I can only use vesa driver, which has a low refreshing rate and hurt my eyes.

My video card is ATI "3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X, and I looked /use/lib/module/drivers/, and don't see the driver. If there is a way to get this driver.

I didn't include the ATI driver because it didn't build on delilinux because it needs Xinereama stuff which isn't included in DeLi's Xorg. But you can
build it with:

rsync -aqz crux.nu::ports/crux-2.3/xorg/xorg-xineramaproto/ xorg-xineramaproto
rsync -aqz crux.nu::ports/crux-2.3/xorg/xorg-xf86-video-ati/ xorg-xf86-video-ati
cd xorg-xineramaproto && pkgmk -d -i
cd ../xorg-xf86-video-ati && pkgmk -d -i

The computer I am using, wireless is the only way to get to Internet. I saw the post someone asking for it before, and it points to a Crux port, I downloaded it and type pkgmk, but there are some errors, usb.h can not be found.

I google searched the reason, seems to me I also need uclibc library installed.

No, you need kernel sources installed which are available from kernel.org.

But there is another problem I just discovered:
#error "gcc 3.4 or newer should be used for compiling this module"

plus some other build failures.

Well, it seems that ndiswrapper doesn't build right now. Currently I don't have the time to investigate this further, but help would be appreciated in this matter.

Just one personal note: I think ndiswrapper is a dirty hack for using Windows drivers. I suggest to get a WiFi-Card that is really supported under Linux. I myself got a RaLink based card, driver is GPL'ed from RaLink, the price of the card was under 20 EUR/US-$, and it works just fine with DeLi.

(1)When you release your next release, in your "extra software", can you also include the
development environment, so user can try to compile the application they need.

The build environment is included in the ports tree, which is currently a little bit weird especially when you want to build from scratch. Plus it haven't have yet the newest packages. (python, Kaffe (java), etc.) I will update it as soon as I can. Currently I build packages on different machines and I'm a little bit ... ahm ... unorganized so I must put first all this things together:)

(2)I agree, Deli will benefit from the development of embedded application.
My Thinkpad bought 10 years ago is 233MHZ, 32 MB RAM, that's the kind of spec( in terms of computing power) for today's mobile device. I read your blog on a daily basis.

Thanks:) I spoke to the GPE people at Linuxtag. I complained that their environment can hardly run with 16 MB RAM and they told me that today's mobile devices have at least 32 MB RAM, if not 64. So this is a thing we have to think about. A lot of people still have only 16 MB RAM.

(3) I have watched Deli Linux for 6 months, but I didn't install it until yesterday. Although Puppy Linux(the one I am using) or DSL are well known for small linux Distro, but small distro and small to run are 2 different things, it's not that user friendly, but it's truly has a small footprint.

Yes, DeLi is still at Beta stage and will be at this status for a little time longer until version 1.0 which as of today I have only vague ideas what it will look like.:) Just some points:
* Should run on computers which, at the time of release, are 10 years old, including laptops (Currently this are Pentium I models, http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_History has a good overview)
* Can be used for simple tasks (Surfing, e-mail, word processing and office). But no 3D-stuff.
* Should be easy to use
* Should be stable
« Last edit by haary on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:36 am. »

Page: 1

DeLi Linux » Installation » ATI driver for Xorg, Ndiswrapper

DeLi Linux is powered by UseBB Forum Software